"Writing begets more writing. Meaning grows on the page."
• "Adopt a Bench" (an essay about New York)
The Sun Magazine Read an excerpt
• "Things Gone the Way of Time"
An essay in Brevity
In a new anthology, You: Essays Devoted to the Second Person
Kenyon Review, Winter 2013
Read the interview
• "Family History Meets Memoir" (a craft essay)
Writer's Digest Magazine, March/April 2013
• The Riddle Song and Other Rememberings (a book of essays) University of Georgia Press, re-released as paperback
• "Everywhere at Once, 1903" (adapted from The Tribal Knot)
Read an excerpt and download a free copy.
• "The Soul of Brevity: Thirteen Ways of Looking at the Brief Essay"
Tampa Review, NOW AVAILABLE
Read an excerpt.
Order a copy.
• "Ginkgo Song" (an essay about New York)
Kenyon Review, Summer 2012
• "Hope and Wait: A Chapter from the Family Archives" (1918), adapted from The Tribal Knot
Gettysburg Review, Summer 2012
"Annual Conference, 8000 Writers Expected"
River Teeth: A Journal of Nonfiction Narrative, Winter 2012